is a philosophy discussion group meeting on the 3rd Tuesday of every month
from 7.30 to 9.30pm
in the The Bull
in Tanners Street. We cover a large range of topics
. If you have an idea for a topic that you would like us to cover why not drop us a line
? There's no charge for membership and everyone is welcome to drop in. Just bring your brain and some beer money!
Cafe/Pub Philosophy and Lectures
The Stoa is not the only pub/cafe philosophy group around, although I do believe it is the only one of its kind in Kent. Here are details of some others.
- Cafe Scientifique
- The old-fashoned term for science used to be 'natural philosophy' so I suppose at a stretch we could call this a pub philosophy group. However, the topics are essentially scientific albeit designed to be accessible to the layperson. There is a Canterbury group that meets in 'Ye Olde Beverlie' at St Stephens Green.
- All about Philosophy Cafes
- Socrates Cafe
- Book by Christopher Phillips linked to philosophy cafes run by the writer.
- Philosophy for All (PFA)
- London-based group offering talks, dabates and films.
- Newcastle Philosophy Society
- Philosophy in Pubs (PiPs)
- PiPs holds meetings in a variety of locations including: Liverpool, Leicester, Cheadle, Ormskirk, Brighton, Manchester
- Skeptics in the Pub
- Skeptics in the Pub is a lecture series held in Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Hampshire, Ipswich, London, Leicester, Leeds, Liverpool, Nottingham, Oxford and Sheffield. The event was founded by Dr Scott Campbell in 1999 for all those interested in the bizarre and the rational approach to extraordinary claims. A speaker is invited each month to present a topic of interest, which is followed by a discussion in a relaxed and friendly pub atmosphere.
- Birkbeck Philosophy Society (London)
- Institute of Philosophy lectures(London)